Thursday 14 May 2015

Home coming

4 months to the day since my accident and I've come full circle, all the hours of physio have led to this moment. Its time for me to return to my Project and finish what I set out to do. To say that I've missed everything about my Project and Botswana would be an understatement, my constant day-dreams of life before the accident has been my key motivation in my recovery and without it I would be a long way behind from where I stand today.


I think I would be lying if I said that I wasn't nervous for my return, both physically and emotionally. Physically I was worried how my body would cope, firstly with getting to Botswana but also with the rigorous day to day life that Bana Ba Metsi demands. On the emotional front I was nervous about a lot of things, how would I fit back into the scheme of things at the school? How would I cope with travelling down the same road the accident occured, would it bring up any demons that I had not yet delt with? 

My worries were short lived however, it seems I am stronger than I think. Physically my back has given me little grief even though I had to endure a 6 hour bus ride sandwiched between two fairly large women. Even through this discomfort I still managed to sleep most of the way (no demons encountered). The bus ride was necessary in order to get from Maun to Shakawe where I was to be picked up by Peter Dow, the school director. 

After another hour of driving I could see it, the sign for home "Welcome to Bana Ba Metsi". I have envisioned this moment everyday since the accident, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little choked up, but I managed to hold it together. I couldn't have the boys first impression of me being a weak one.

I'm sitting here trying to think of the right words I should use to convey how happy and content I am to be back, but it seems an impossible task. As soon as I was with Tim, Paul and Justus it felt as if I'd never left. They were kind enough to put on a braii for my return and we eat like kings, something that won't last as the BBM diet resumes tomorrow.. ohh how I've missed pap.

 







No comments:

Post a Comment